Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Wager

The Great Ballun Pizza Challenge of 2010

I've just arrived back in Melbourne, and I am due back at work tomorrow. I've got Donna's permission to lie low for a few weeks, and the only exercise I plan to do this weekend is some cross-country skiing up at Lake Mountain in Vic. I'll write a Euro wrap-up soon, but for the moment I'm looking forward to having a complete break from the bike.

I could not, however, let this week go past without a mention of The Wager. The night before I left for Australia, all the girls went out for pizza at Della Monte restaurant in Varese, to celebrate the end of the Giro. Della Monte is famous for its 'Ballun' pizzas (see above), and I have attempted 3 times now to finish one off. That night marked my 3rd attempt. I had been confident, after 10 days of racing the Giro, that a Ballun would be no match for me. I may or may not have expressed this confidence to the other girls. I was wrong.

The girls did not let this failure go unnoticed. In fact, I think the whole restaurant heard all about it. To cut a long story short, a gauntlet was thrown down and The Great Ballun Challenge of 2010 was born.

The challenge is thus:
  • Madames Kirsty Broun, Amanda Spratt and Carly Light will attend Della Monte Pizza Restaurant at some date before the end of July 2010 (This date has been set as Sunday July 18);
  • Each will order and receive one Ballun pizza;
  • Each must consume said Ballun wholly, without interference or assistance from each other or any third party. There is no time limit for eating;
  • If all 3 girls successfully finish their Ballun, they will receive, from Emma Mackie and myself
    • 1x case of beer
    • 100 euro
    • and will have the pleasure of seeing Mackie and I ride the 2011 road nationals with streamers attached to our handlebars.
  • If K.Bru, Spratty and Barky fail to complete their Balluns, it's reversed - i.e Mackie and I get 100E + a case of beer, and they have to put streamers on their bikes at nationals.
The trash-talking has started, and both teams are confident of winning. I have to say, I thought we were pretty safe until I saw that crazy look in Spratty's eyes. Now I'm not so sure. Either way, I'm disappointed to be missing the action - although I'm confident Chief Commissaires Carlee Taylor, Lauren Kitchen and Shara Gillow will oversee proceedings in our absence. It's not about the money, it's not about the beer, it's not even about the pizza... it's all about the streamers.

Stay tuned for results... or just rock up to Buninyong in January and see who's wearing the streamers.

Ride happy

3 comments:

  1. you make me laugh!! seriously! I love ur blog! I just read it out loud to the girls and we were cracking up laughing!!! we all miss you! but I'm sorry to say that I don't think your gona be hard to find in Bunninyong...having streamers on your bike and all!! lol will tape THE WAGER for you and post it on you tube, fb, skype, ping, pin, mms, and any other form of communication I can think of!!! lol Love you! xxx Anonymous...aka Carlee...aka the lady of ----(damn it I cant remember that name of that song u hear in the lift!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do all 3 of them have to finish their Ballun's? I'll look forward to the streamers (not on your bike, Lisa) come Jan ;-)

    They pizza's look delicious, and almost enough that I wouldn't need an entree or desert... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lis as much as I want you to win the bet, streamers on your bike really would help Mum and Dad cheer at the right time!!

    Delighted to have you back hun, the blog has been wonderful and you can absolutely hold your head up high; Australia loves you :) xx

    ReplyDelete